To kick off Tufinnovate EMEA, we heard from the first customer to implement all four products of the Tufin Orchestration Suite to achieve comprehensive security policy management across their hybrid network and within their Kubernetes clusters. He began by outlining the challenges his organization faced prior to implementing Tufin, such as low productivity and team efficiency due to manual processes, a large attack surface due to human error and lack of visibility, and the burden of coordinating connectivity across network, security, data, cloud, compliance and development teams. Their firewall and security group rule change process was filled with dependencies across departments and was best described as “painful.”
They chose Tufin for a number of reasons, most notability for its centralized multi-vendor visibility and automation, application-level abstraction, and non-invasive cloud controls. Their goal was for their Tufin deployment to grow with the network: start with topology, advance to automation, move to application-level view, and finally expand to the cloud. They also needed to democratize network security to manage and coordinate the shared responsibility across the organization and provide guardrails for the network and cloud teams.
The result: the customer was able to increase agility to support digital transformation.
With their Tufin deployment, they were able to:
- Provision access changes in minutes instead of weeks, freeing up more time for other projects
- Complete audits literally in minutes by granting compliance teams direct access to the Tufin platform
- Increase visibility across the hybrid network to remove blind spots, including visibility of Kubernetes cluster access
- Simplify connectivity administration by managing at an application level and letting Tufin translate all application connectivity requirements to device-level requirements
And that’s not all! On the cloud side, with their use of SecureCloud, they were able to:
- Centralize and coordinate access management across on-prem and cloud enviornments
- Gain visibilty into cloud deployments and cloud traffic
- Centralize visiblity into cloud vulnerabilites and permissive access
- Maintain the speed of development
Next up, a panel of customers shared their experience with Tufin.
One of our most popular sessions, the panel began with a discussion around the topic on everyone’s mind: the shift to remote work. The panelists discussed how the rapid move to remote work forced IT teams to implement digital transformation projects that they struggled to see a need for prior to the pandemic. In that sense, the pandemic helped to move these advanced projects along. They also emphasized the importance of rule clean-up during this time and making sure rules are not overly permissive while still granting employees the appropriate access to do their jobs.
When asked about the role of automation during this time, their experience was that visibility was more important – cleaning up rules and objects and establishing processes around those tasks. However, they agreed that this will eventually turn into an automated process as visibility is the enabler of automation.
What projects are the panelists focusing on in the future?
One of the panelists expressed the importance of Zero Trust in light of the surge in remote work especially as many remote employees use their own devices, which may not be subject to patching policies or other proper security guidelines. Another panelist is looking ahead to a cloud-first strategy. One of the panelists discussed the need to configure all the various solutions they’ve deployed, using Tufin in the background to monitor and help with these integrations.
We look forward to hearing an update at next year’s conference to see what these customers were able to accomplish using Tufin!
Congratulations to our EMEA Partners of the Year:
- EMEA Distributor: Exclusive Networks
- EMEA SDP/Service Partner: AERAsec
- Northern Europe: Computacenter
- Western Europe: Nomios (Infradata Group)
- Southern Europe: Kirey Group
We hope you enjoyed the first day of Tufinnovate EMEA 2020! Follow the conversation on social media using #Tufinnovate.